The Greek & Roman Plaster Cast Collection (Abguss-Sammlung Antiker Plastik Berlin) continues a tradition first established by the Berlin Plaster Cast Collection, which was established in 1695 and to a great extent destroyed during and after the Second World War. The rebuilding of the collection was made possible via co-operation between the Institute of Classical Archeology at the Freie Universtät Berlin and the National Museum of Prussian Cultural Heritage.
The collection is currently made up of close to 2,000 Greek and Roman plaster cast sculptures for the main purpose of teaching and research. The ultimate aim is, however, to introduce them to a wider public. The sculptures displayed in the collection provide an overview of the history of Greek and Roman plaster casting from the Cyclades culture of 300BC, Minoan and Mycenaean art, geometric and archaic works, classical and Hellenic sculpture, all the way to the plaster casts of the Roman Empire. Select items from other Mediterranean cultures round out the collection.
This exciting glimpse into antiquity is enhanced by special exhibitions of modern art as well as by musical and theatrical performances, readings and lectures.