main content start,
© SPSG / Foto: Hagen Immel
Belvedere auf dem Klausberg © SPSG / Foto: Hagen Immel
© SPSG. Foto: Wolfgang Pfauder

Following the completion of the New Palace in 1769, Frederick the Great had the Belvedere on the Klausberg built as part of his beautification plans for the areas surrounding the palace. It was the king's last architectural undertaking at Sanssouci. The building, which was the first "Belvedere" in Potsdam, established the tradition of creating architecturally designed lookout points within the royal seat power.
In translation, "Belvedere" means "beautiful view." From atop the hill, called the Klausberg, there are delightful views across Sanssouci Park, over the hilly, lake-filled landscape and the city of Potsdam. The two-story rotunda, ornamented with two columned porticos and crowned by a dome, was modeled on a reconstruction of Nero's emperor's palace in Rome according to Frederick the Great's wishes.
The building, which was gutted by fire in 1945 during the final days of WWII, was restored by the Messerschmitt-Stiftung in Munich as a cultural contribution to the reunification of Germany. In addition to the exterior, the interiors of the Belvedere were also extensively rebuilt and renovated. Today, as a consequence of its simulated marble, its reconstructed ceiling painting in the dome, and its oak parquet floors, the upper hall radiates its former glory once again.

Opening hours,

Based on appointment

Open only for special exhibitions and events.

Location,

An der Orangerie 1, 14469 Potsdam

Telephone,

+49 (331) 96 94-200

Website,

www.spsg.de/schloesser-g…

Email,

[javascript protected email address]

Exhibitions

Events

Digital

Tickets

Services

Service Telephone

+49 (331) 96 94-200

Accessibility

Audioguides