The Mendelssohn-Remise was built in 1890 as the cashier's hall of the Mendelssohn Bank at Jägerstraße 51. It was later used as a coach house. Joseph and Abraham Mendelssohn, sons of philosopher and businessman Moses Mendelssohn, firmly established the bank here in 1815, roughly 20 years after it had been founded. It then went on to develop into the most important private bank in Berlin all the way up to its forced liquidation in 1938.
“The Mendelssohns on Jägerstraße” is a permanent exhibition that examines the history of the bank and the lives of the bankers. It describes their patronage, charitable activities, salons and diverse interactions with important figures in the fields of business, science, music and visual arts. The section titled “Religion and the Mendelssohns” looks at the different denominations held by each of the family members and their search for identity amidst Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Romantic art and enlightened civil religions.
In the tradition and spirit of the Mendelssohn family, the Mendelssohn Society organises regular concerts and literary salons in the Mendelssohn Remise.