In 1771, Frederick the Great had his Orangerie – which had been erected in 1745 by Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff – redesigned as a guesthouse. Johann Christian Unger managed the refurbishment of the building, which is located directly next to Sanssouci Palace. Its simple and almost austere facade does not hint at the glamour and festive atmosphere of the interior. The decoration of the rooms is characteristic of a late and very high-quality Rococo.
At the centre of the New Chambers, Sanssouci Palace (Neue Kammern am Schloss Sanssouci) lies the Jaspis Room lined with precious stones and topped off with a large ceiling fresco with a depiction of Venus. In the Ovid Gallery, a room in the style of a French mirror gallery, 14 gilded stucco reliefs delight visitors with the blazing sensuality of motifs taken from Ovid's "Metamorphoses". The guest rooms are designed as wood-inlay, lacquer and picture cabinets. Especially notable are the inlay cabinets designed by the Spindler brothers.
An der Orangerie 1, 14469 Potsdam
Admission price 6,00 €
Reduced price 5,00 €
- Museum Shop
+49 (331) 96 94-200
In German, English, French, Italian, Spanish.