The Tieranatomische Theater (Theatre of Veterinary Anatomy) in the grounds of the North Campus of the Humboldt University in Berlin-Mitte is Berlin’s oldest surviving academic teaching building. Carl Gotthard Langhans, who also designed the Brandenburg Gate, built this building with a central domed auditorium for King Frederick William II in 1789-90 as the centrepiece of the new Veterinary School. References to Classical architecture and to Palladio’s Northern Italian Renaissance villas made this teaching institution a veritable display stage for the young science of veterinary medicine. Since 2012 the Humboldt University’s Hermann von Helmholtz-Zentrum für Kulturtechnik (Centre for Cultural Technology) has used the building for experimentally and performatively based science exhibitions with a laboratory character in which collaboration with museums, university institutions and collections and other partners fosters the combination of a scientific approach with art and design. In addition, a permanent exhibition displays a multitude of objects from the building’s 200 year history.
Philippstr. 13, Haus 3 (Campus Nord), 10115 Berlin
+49 (30) 20 93-466 25
+49 (30) 12881
+49 (30) 2093-466 25
In German, Audioguides auch als Apps im Android Play Store und im Apple App Store verfügbar..